Text

A journey towards appreciating all of the beauty, hope and even the not so nice things that life has to offer.

Monday, April 30, 2012

They censored my baby. ; )

While we were in the middle of doing Ryan's science lesson, out of the blue he asked,"What is wrong with school?" I asked him what he meant.  He said that when he was in [public] school they had an in class project that required him to write a mini book.  He said that the teacher said that they could write about anything that they wanted and then they had to draw pictures and read it to the class.  He said that he wrote about Jesus and that his teacher said that he couldn't read it.  This came as a shock to me as he never told me about the situation. I asked, "Really, are you serious?" He said, "Yeah, what is wrong with school?" First, I was so proud that of all the things he chose to write about Jesus. Then, I was surprised not that he was censored, but that he didn't like that Jesus was not allowed.  I was so proud of him.  Don't get me wrong, I am not one of the homeschooling moms that bash the public school system.  (I know they exist.) I went through public school and my nieces and nephews currently attend public school.  My children excelled academically, had some good teachers and friends in public school and they may one day return. My simple reason for homeschooling is that it works for us. Current changes in my life may threaten my ability to continue homeschooling them, but with that being said I will continue to do so for as long as it works. I will at some point go more in depth with our homeschooling journey, but as this came up today I wanted to share this story. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts....